_____________________________________________________________________________________________

HOME | FACEBOOK | BLOGLOVIN'
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 1 April 2012

Winning Friends With Salad


The other day I was super excited to go to the much hyped Hanoi Hannah on High St. We thought a Tuesday lunch might mean we could actually get a table as every time I've walked past this place it's been a bit too pumping. 


We arrived around 1pm and straightaway were helped to the last spot at the bar. The inside of this place is pretty cool - the exposed brick, industrial style pendant lights and wooden ceiling all work to make this place feel nice and homely. The front of the place is almost completely open with some street seating too so it felt pretty 'nam minus the miniature plastic kiddie chairs - at least it was comforting to know that I would be able to get up from my chair.



Interior of Hanoi Hannah




Its littered with little trinkets that reminded me of my time in vietnam - although I don't recall multiple tin cow statues as being a big thing while I was there.


The menu was pretty standard vietnamese. Everything sounded pretty amazing and peeking around the restaurant at everyones food, it looked good too. The menu was divided up into pho, rice paper rolls and then other street food which was more your meat + vegetable kind of dishes. I was pleased to see my old favourite, ba-ba-ba beer making an appearance on the drinks menu and the cocktail menu got me in a tropical mood.


One of the Happy Cows


I made sure I got my blessing from the tin cows before I ordered Vermicelli Salad with Lemongrass Beef ($10). Vermicelli salad is one of my favourite dishes of all time. It's always so fresh and light but still hearty without being too heavy. I've tried my fair share of vermicelli salads so I came into the challenge with lots of experience and high expectations.

In typical 'nam style the food came out fresh and fast. It was covered in vegetables which I was really craving and had plenty of mint to keep me happy. Mine was a really good and I'd order it again.


Vermicelli Salad with Lemongrass Beef
 

My friends got the chilli prawn and papaya salad and the vietnamese slaw with chicken. They both enjoyed the flavours of their dishes but found the servings too small and the vegetable to meat ratios were a little high. This is not the kind of place you would want to come if you're super hungry.

Afterwards we went and got cake.


It ain't 'nam without a bike.

Outfit
- White sheer cotton embroider top - Zara
- Turquoise camisole (underneath) - Witchery
- Dark navy skinny jeans - Cotton On
- Tan tassel bow ballet flats - Zomp
- Rose gold metal headband - H&M




- Orange leather clutch - Oroton
- "Avec Le Temps" friendship bracelets - Mathias Chaize
- Turquoise and silver ring - from vietnam markets (not planned!)

I love the detail in this top from Zara I got it while I was away in Europe. With the neon top underneath, it's got a bit of a Alexander Wang SS12 vibe for me.





So back to Hanoi Hannah:

Pros:
- Good atmosphere
- Good flavours
- Well priced menu
- Drinks menu was impressive

Cons:
- Portions too small. I think my friends would have appreciated if the waiters had advised them that they should get more food or even order some rice with it or something. If this please is meant to be asian tapas style then they certainly didn't make it clear.
- Service could be better. We weren't exactly demanding customers but after they served us our food that was the end of that. It was difficult to get their attention to get our water refilled or even get the bill.


This makes me wanna have business cards.


Hanoi Hannah
180 High Street
Windsor, VIC 3181
Rating: 7/10
Would I come here again: I would come here again but with a big group of people for dinner, getting lots of dishes to share. If I didn't live around the corner I don't think I would bother. It's no Victoria St.


Bec xx


P.S A picture of my friend Tas and I after cake - finally satisfied!




No comments:

Post a Comment