_____________________________________________________________________________________________

HOME | FACEBOOK | BLOGLOVIN'
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 17 July 2012

Chin Up

So the elusive Chin Chin... I'm pretty sure I've attempted to go here 5 times - all with no luck of getting a table. Then finally, on one cold Melbourne evening my luck changed, so this is the story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down.

The brother of my friend, Shiv, came to visit her in Melbourne from Singapore and as a result they had a room at the Westin in the city. Naturally, she invited Tas and I to come over and just lap up the hotelness of this situation. The plan was to a) relax in hotel, b) eat food and c) steal hotel shampoo.

Once I arrived, Shiv and I had jumped on the beds for a good 10 minutes after which we managed to work up a bit of an appetite... but we had to wait for Tas to come before we could go to dinner (in theory). We were trying to decide where to go when all of a sudden I remembered that it was 4:55pm and Chin Chin was literally down the street. You see I know from experience that Chin Chin opens at 5pm and if you want to get a table at Chin Chin (no bookings) you have to rock up in the first 30 minutes otherwise you get dumped. Restaurant rejection is the worst kind because now only are you alone, pushed out onto the street but you are also hungry and not even money is enough to get them to hang out with you. You're losing on all fronts.




We deliberated as to whether to wait for Tas or not, but we knew our fragile souls could not take another dumping, so we dumped Tas instead and snuck off to dinner. We felt bad to say the least, but it wasn't our fault that Tas has way too much passion for old people and hand hygiene. Anyway Tas met Guy Grossi later the night so she made up for it. We ordered 2 entrees, 1 main and some sides:

1Spicy Corn and Coriander Fritters - no words for how amazing these were. Could eat these for breakfast, lunch and dinner... and dessert.
2/ Salt and Pepper Squid - usual fare
3/ Soft Shell Crab Red Curry - really good. Lots of flavour. Maybe too much. I thought I could handle chilli however my crying show in the middle of the restaurant would say otherwise.
4/ Roti - I love roti bread and they make a damn good one.
5/ Rice - duh

This was more than enough food even though their waiters advise to order more. Maybe if you were dining with 3 AFL football teams. The food is seriously filling so I would say 1 main plus some entrees/side is plenty enough for 2 people.

Fav magazine


Look at everyone having fun.

The other thing about this place is that the decor is really cool. The front is surrounded by posters and it has a long wall of windows with bench seating below. It manages to create a really relaxed atmosphere but it still feels a bit special.

Also my top tip is to get the cider - so refreshing after a chilli hit. And slightly more refined than panting like a dog.



Fritter Fratter

My stomach agrees.


Chin Chin
9/10
Pros: Attentive service, amazing food, good atmosphere. Essentially everything is phenomenal. The only thing that would make this place better... delivery.
Cons: It's so good you have to get here at 5pm


Bec xx

No comments:

Post a Comment